Safeguard Your Home in Extreme Weather with the Right Roofing in Calgary
When you live in colder climates that experience extreme weather conditions, the type of roof system above your head is critical. Packed snow can damage the shingles and other roofing materials. Ice dams can create damage to your walls and soffits. If your shingles are not installed property, rain water can flow back under the shingles and cause leaks.
Having the right roofing material is the start of protecting your home in the event Mother Nature unleashes her best. If you experience storm damage or are thinking about renovating your house, call a professional to make sure you have the best roofing supplies to protect your home. Century Roofing Limited in Calgary is equipped to provide inspections, maintenance, repairs, and installations for your residential or commercial roof.
Types of Roofs Explained by Your Calgary Roofing Contractor
The choices may seem endless when it comes to replacing your roof. It is essential to keep in mind that not all roofing supplies are made equal. Some hold up better than others during the extreme Canadian winters. Check out these options:
• Metal: One appealing characteristic about metal roofing is the ability for snow and ice to slide right off. This material is very durable. They have heating coils that prevent ice from building up, and snow guards to avoid sheets of the white fluffy stuff from sliding off all at once. With proper installation and insulation, a metal protection will keep you warm in the winter and cool in the summer.
• Asphalt or Cedar Wood Shingles: Asphalt shingles are a staple for many homes since they are an affordable option. With asphalt shingles, correct installation is the key to keep water and ice at bay, as well as, wind from tearing them off. If you prefer a more natural look, consider cedar wood shingles instead. Cedar is a sturdy wood that can hold up to the elements.
• Cement Tiles: Not only are cement tiles strong enough for low winter temperatures and harsh winds, but they are also fireproof. Imagine your roof not only protecting your home from the weather, but also from fire. This option is much more substantial than asphalt, so if you are considering installing cement tiles, you will want to make sure your home can support them.
• Solar Panels: There are two types of solar panels from which you can choose: active or passive. With active panels, solar energy is captured and transferred into electricity and heat for your home. Passive panels capture hot air and push it into your heating system. The snow and ice will melt off your roof.
• Single-Ply Membranes: Especially suitable for commercial structure, a fully adhered single-ply membrane can handle high winds and is energy efficient. A couple of choices include thermoplastic polyolefin (TPO) and polyvinylchloride (PVC). TPO is quick and easy to install and very durable. PVC is also energy efficient and sustainable; however, it is better for moderate climates.
Choose a Trusted Roofing Contractor in Calgary
Preparing your home for extreme weather includes choosing the right material for your roof. Additionally, adding insulation in your attic prevents warm air from rising and increasing the temperature of the material. Century Roofing Limited has an excellent reputation for fast, excellent service for all your needs. We have served the Calgary area for more than 30 years and understand construction needs in extreme climates.
Century Roofing Limited is one of the leading roofing companies in the Calgary area. Call us at 403-235-5457 or fill out our online contact form today.