Choosing the Right Roofing Contractor
Your home’s roof should not be left in the hands of a general handyman. When installed properly, a roof can last for 20 to even 50 years depending on the shingle type. Alternatively, a poorly installed roof can last you just a few years and worse, wreak havoc on the inside of your home with extreme water damage. Before hiring just any Calgary roofing contractor, make sure you take the time to research and only hire a trusted, experienced installer for the job.
Tips for Selecting Your Contractor
Not all contractors are certified for residential or commercial roofing. Even if a company offers residential roofing, they may not have the expertise to tackle a commercial job or vice-versa. When selecting your contractor, be sure to follow these tips to ensure you hire the right company:
- Consider their specialty. For commercial roofs, hire a commercial roofing contractor that specializes in commercial roofing and has the job history to prove such. They should have a history of successful commercial jobs completed and be certified in commercial-grade roofing products. Be aware of small companies that take on commercial jobs as “fillers” from residential work; they are often too inexperienced to handle the complexity of a commercial project. Ask the company for references from past customers and check those out.
- Manufacturer certifications and considerations. Manufacturers of roof shingles in Calgary will typically certify or authorize certain roofing companies because they know they can successfully install their product. One of the best ways to ensure you are hiring a reputable service provider is by seeing what manufacturer recommendations they hold and what warranties they honour.
- Check for licensing and insurance coverage. The roofing contractor should be fully insured for all employees as well as subcontractors that perform roofing under their business. They should have the proper licensing to work in the area and all of their sub-contractors should be professionally licensed as well.
- Get a detailed estimate first. Before hiring a roofing company, ask for a detailed written estimate. The estimate should list all supplies, materials, additional costs and labour costs so that you understand the full scope of what you are paying for. It is best to receive one to three quotes from local contractors so that you can compare costs.
- Read the job contract carefully. Always read carefully your contract from the roofing company before signing. Some companies will require that the job be paid in full before they even arrive to do the job, which is not a legitimate business practice. Others may have stipulations on the warranty that they do not outright advertise. Any red flags in the contract should be clarified and you may want to consider going with a different provider if another has questionable contract terms.
Hire a Reputable Company for Roofing in Calgary Today
Whether you have a commercial roofing project or residential one, Century Roofing Limited can help. We have years of experience successfully installing residential and commercial roof products. We are recognized for quality and excellence by manufacturers and we stand behind our work.