What to Look for in a Quality Roofer
At Century Roofing Limited, we want your business, but we also want you to make an informed decision. Century Roofing Limited has an established reputation for integrity and commitment within the insurance community, earning a “preferred contractor” designation. We also enjoy an A+ rating with the Better Business Bureau.
An online search will provide a number of websites and blogs providing advice on how to hire a roofing contractor in Calgary. We’ve pulled together the best advice around for you here.
- Get a recommendation from a neighbour, a friend, or your local lumberyard or home builders association. You can also check YellowPages.ca or online directories under “Roofing”. Gather at least two prospects. Make sure each has been in business at least five years to ensure reliability.
- Start your prospect check with availability. Get names and addresses of references and then do a drive-by inspection of a few recent jobs. Look for spacing between individual shingle tabs, and that shingles are trimmed in a clean line on roof ends and along the valleys where they overlap the valley flashing. Also look for neat, tar-free flashing at roof valleys and eaves. Call references directly and ask them the following questions: would they use this roofer again; did the job come in on budget; and, was a designated foreman available to address your concerns during both the tear-off and the installation of the new roof?
- When a roofer comes by to look over your job and work up a price, note their appearance. Pride extends beyond the job site. Then detail the full range of your expectations. Find out who will do the work and the foreman’s name. And get everything in writing.
- A roofing contractor should carry commercial liability insurance to protect his clients from unforeseen events that can occur during the project. Many contractors will include a certificate of insurance when they submit their proposals. Ask the contractor to provide a copy of the manufacturer’s warranty for the roofing materials. Not only does this warranty let you know your rights concerning a defective roofing product, but it also details the circumstances that can void the warranty. Also, insist on a warranty that covers leaks, flashing failure, and other labor-related defects.
- Find out what trade associations the roofing contractor belongs to. A reputable roofing company often holds memberships in a variety of trade and professional associations.
Contact Century Roofing Limited in Calgary at 403-235-5457 or visit online at www.centuryroofing.ca to schedule a free estimate and let us get to work for you!